Sunday 12 January 2014

I've spun a web

Spiderman, Spiderman,
Does whatever a spider can.
Spins a web, any size,
Catches thieves just like flies.
Look out! Here comes the Spiderman

Haven't we all grown up hearing this song whenever the friendly neighbourhood, masked vigilante has come on our screens. I mean Peter Parker has been hero for generations, from my time as a kid to the Generation Y of today. Everyone relates to him, everyone feels he is the symbol of hope and heroism, notwithstanding the Robots, Shaktimaans, RaOnes and Krrishs of the world. 

And not so surprisingly, one of my friend from US wanted to get a shoe painted in Spider-Man theme for her nephew in Surat. Yes, the order was from Uncle Sam's country to be delivered at my home town in Surat. Well, and I was excited and Gautam was doubly excited. He loves Spider-Man and can survive a week, easily, on Spider-Man, Batman, Iron Man, Hulk, Avengers and all the superhero movies. 

His excitement was infectious, as if I was making it for him. But yes, this was a birthday surprise from my friend to her nephew. Leaving behind Tin Tin, Angry Birds and Chhota Bheem, Spider-Man was actually a challenge. The challenge was to get the right kind of pose to fit in a shoe of a 5-year old. I mean without sounding foolish, I was just not getting the pose that would fit the shoe properly because as all know he is so acrobatic and also the right colour, the perfect red and perfect blue. 

Somehow I decided to take up one of them, which to begin with looked weird. I wasn't able to distinguish between his arms and legs in the picture. But I realised that once I splash colours into the figure, probably it will look better. And voila, it did. The web, Spider-Man himself and the logo of Amazing Spider-Man filled up the shoe to the right amount. The idea was to have the shoe not look congested yet look full. 

In a matter of 3 days, the shoe was ready and I had a steep deadline to get it ready and delivered in Surat on time for the kid to get it on his birthday. And I managed it somehow. In fact to begin with, I wasn't even getting the shoe size because white canvas shoes are not easily available when the schools are in its last 3-4 months. But anyway, the final product is for all to see. 

I got to know earlier in the morning that the kid was stunned and just couldn't part ways from his new acquisition. That's what matters the most. Till next pair comes on, hope you'll enjoy seeing the making of my new creation. 









No comments:

Post a Comment